POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP: Door into Summer, update : Re: WIP: Door into Summer, update Server Time
20 Jul 2024 23:32:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WIP: Door into Summer, update
From: Geoff Wedig
Date: 3 Mar 2001 13:33:50
Message: <3aa1390e@news.povray.org>
In povray.binaries.animations Marc-Hendrik Bremer <Marc-Hendrik.Bremer@t-online.de>
wrote:

> I like the summerside more. Perhaps you should do "Door into Winter" as a
> still. :-)
> The animation flickers a lot. I've not done many animations myself but I
> think it has to do with "jitter", which should be turned off.

No, it's not jitter, since that is turned off.  It's radiosity, which has
much the same effect from one frame to the next.  If I could do a radiosity
map, similar to the photon map, and use it for all frames, it would not only
speed rendering, but it would get rid of that.  Only other option is to turn
the radiosity settings way up to try to get convergence.

> I find it interesting, that the winter-side looks darker as the summer when
> looked from within the Summer and vice versa.
> The winter-forest has to be on both sides because of your method? Otherwise
> I would drop the one, which is to be seen at the end of the animation.

Actually no.  I could drop them from the end of the animation, or replace it
with something else without changing the forest at the beginning.  They're
completely independent.  But I wanted something there, so I kept it. ;)

> IMO you should work on the birds texture a bit ;-)

Yeah, it's quite simple, and most of the detail disappears when the
animation kicks in (in fact, detail is lost pretty badly when I mpg'd
things), making it look like a little red blob.

> This is really a nice piece of work. The snow is very good now and the
> overall conception is wonderful.

Thanks.  I've become fascinated with rendering things that Just-Cant-Be
lately.  I'm thinking of playing with this concept for the Fortress round,
but not sure what I'll do.

Geoff